Who We Are
The Small Ruminants Association of Jamaica is an organization comprising of Goat and Sheep Farmers who serve to meet the basic demands for small ruminant meat and value added products in Jamaica. Our aim is to assist small and large goat and sheep farmers who are seeking to earn an income from this industry.
80% of chevron and mutton consumed locally is imported, and our aim is to increase that figure.
We encourage our member to practice detailed management of their stock, keeping a record of the number of animals on their farm as well keeping records of every goat/sheep born, their shots/medical history and their deaths. Proper management also allows for great returns.
Storing semen is one of the services offered to goat and sheep farmers who are members of our organization. The semen can be preserved for years to come and be inseminated into female goats who can then bare kids of the same breed as the buck. This method helps to preserve lines/breeds as well as allows us to produce mixed breeds.
Through our breeding programs have been monitoring the different breeds of goats, their performance and growth in numbers, and even though we have lost many breeds of goats over the years due to the want of market advantage and lack of technology, we are proud to say those days are long gone.
We have a new movement, a new wind, where we have been having many volunteers and many members old and new alike stepping up and being very involved. More is being offered to us and we are now able to do much more than we were before and we are very excited about this. So we are urging as many persons as possible to join us.
The SRAJM is open to all farmers in goat and sheep rearing and there is no age limit. It is a non-governmental organization with affiliation to the Ministry of Agriculture (MINAG) and Jamaica Livestock Association (JLA), and possesses its own Board of Management and Secretariat. It is also a member of the Jamaica Agricultural Society (JAS).
Membership Fees & Dues
A registration fee of $1000 and annual dues of $1000 are charged per person on application for membership.
Benefits of the SRAJM
Farmers who join the SRAJM benefit from:
• Information and advice from a pool of knowledgeable persons who are available.
• Continuous training and technology transfer to keep him / her abreast of the latest developments in the small ruminant industry.
• Appraisals of the herd done at least once a year at a cost.
• Assistance in importing goats from approved countries by obtaining a veterinary permit, sourcing the animal, arranging shipment and quarantine clearance both overseas and locally and arranging for health certification from the importing source.
• The preparation of farm plans and project proposals by the association.
• Assistance in the area of herd health through collaboration between the society and the Veterinary Division of MINAG.
• Assistance with the marketing of goats for meat or for breeding.
• Information in the formulation of feeds and on farm feed conservation methods.
• Publications and leaflets on a timely basis. All publications are free of cost except for the Goat Production Handbook.
• Assistance in displaying the animals at the various agricultural shows held across the island.
• The computerized information on his / her herd activities resulting in the sale of goats through the society without paying a fee.